When it feels like you’ve tried absolutely everything for acne, you’re prompted to give up.
It may feel like none of your efforts will be rewarded.
But between you and me, there’s still reason to hope. Why?
Because charcoal can help acne breakouts.
Okay, you may think I’m just pulling your leg here. But I do mean it. Charcoal can help with acne. Specifically, activated charcoal. Activated charcoal can draw out impurities from your pores. This helps reduce acne. Plus, it’s coarse texture can also help exfoliate your skin.
Of course, I won’t leave you with just that info!
For this post, not only will we discover the ways activated charcoal helps acne. We will also look at three recipes with activated charcoal. These recipes are rather simple! So, you can translate all that you’ll learn to recipes that can benefit your skin.
Read on, lovely!
1. Charcoal Detoxifies Skin And Helps Acne Breakouts Like This
Among all that activated charcoal can do for acne, detoxifying is at the top!
How does this detoxification work?
Well, activated charcoal has quite the power. It is proven to be capable of absorbing harmful substances 1000x its own mass! Now that is a powerful heavy lifter.
Because of this power, activated charcoal can draw out a bunch of harmful stuff. It draws out bacteria, chemicals, poisons, dirt, and other micro-particles to the skin’s surface.
This is great news for acne!
Acne is caused by bacteria called C. acnes. The bacteria invade the pores, leaving you with painful breakouts! Plus, when the pores are clogged by dirt, it makes the bacteria’s job easier. Now, imagine activated charcoal doing its heavy lifting. The bacteria and dirt are drawn out to your skin’s surface. By then, you have nothing left to do but wash them off. Down the drain goes those nasty things. And you’ll be left with detoxified skin, and a step closer to a flawless complexion.
With this capability, it is no wonder activated charcoal is popular in face masks!
That’s why I decided to share this face mask recipe with you. In this face mask, you’ll find activated charcoal combined with other ingredients. All these ingredients have only one goal. That is to help you achieve the skin of your dreams!
Activated Charcoal Face Mask Recipe
- Small glass bowl
- Small spatula
- 1 tsp bentonite clay
- 1 tsp activated charcoal powder
- 2 tsp water
- ½ tsp agave syrup
- 2 drop lavender essential oil*
*Note: You can use any essential oil of your choice here. Or you can choose not to. It’s all up to you! Though I highly recommend using one for the added benefits.
How to Prepare and Use It?
- Grab the small glass bowl and add the water and essential oil.
- Over the top of the mixture, sprinkle the bentonite clay.
- Wait for about 10 seconds for the clay to be absorbed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Using a small spatula, mash and mix everything until homogenous. (This step may take a few minutes. The clay will be stubbornly lumpy. But soon, you’ll get a mixture enough for two face masks!)
- When everything is properly mixed, apply a liberal amount to your face.
- Wait for about 10 to 15 minutes. (Careful not to fall asleep! If you do, you’ll wake up with unbearably dry skin.)
- Wash the mixture off with your cleanser and water. You can now proceed with the rest of your routine!
2. Charcoal Exfoliates Skin And Helps Acne Breakouts Like This
It is no secret that activated charcoal has a coarse texture. From afar, it may seem fine and powdery. But, if you grab some of the powder and feel it between your fingers, it’s got a light grainy feel to it. This unique texture makes activated charcoal helpful for gentle exfoliation!
If you’re a true skin care buff, you’ll know how important exfoliation is for skin. Especially if you want to stay clear of acne, or do damage control to future breakouts, exfoliation is your pal.
At first glance, exfoliation may seem like a harsh option for acne. This is often due to people associating exfoliation with rough and hard scrubs. But there’s a wide array of ingredients for gentle exfoliation acne can enjoy!
With gentle exfoliation, you can remove dead skin from your face. This keeps them from turning into pore-clogging materials that eventually becomes acne. You also get a smoother feel to your skin after every gentle charcoal scrub!
So, not only does this recipe include activated charcoal for detoxifying and exfoliating. It also includes white sugar, another gentle scrub. Plus, a wide range of carrier oils and essential oils.
The scrub will leave your skin smooth and nourished.
Activated Charcoal Facial Scrub Recipe
- Glass mixing bowl
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ tsp. activated charcoal
- 4 tbsp. Grapeseed oil
- 3 tbsp. Almond oil
- 1 tbsp. jojoba oil
- 10 drops vitamin E
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 6 drops rosemary oil
How to Prepare and Use It?
- Measure the white sugar and activated charcoal and place them in the mixing bowl.
- Add in the grapeseed oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E, and essential oils.
- Mix until all the sugar and charcoal is coated with oil. (It should not be swimming in oil. You’ll just want the dry ingredients to be coated in oil.)
- Store in a glass or metal container of your choice. This recipe fills a single pint-sized mason jar or 2 half pint jars.
- To use, use a spatula and scoop out your desired amount. Gently massage the face scrub on your face and neck until the sugars dissolve. Wash it off with water or a cleanser.
3. Charcoal Looks So Cool! Acne Removing Cool!
Okay, you might be thinking, “What can looking cool even do to my acne?”
Hear me out, you may love it!
You and I know how frustrating it gets to deal with acne. At some point, we're left looking for that special something to help deal with breakouts. All the crushed hopes and wasted efforts can get really stressful. And stress is the least you’ll want to help with acne.
Now, where does activated charcoal come in?
Imagine ending your tiring day and going ahead with your skin care routine. Same ‘ol routine. Same ‘ol products. Why not spice it up with this powerful black powder? This cool looking ingredient will put the fun back in your routine. Fun while still delivering results.
Activated charcoal became such a big trend thanks to its unorthodox look. When we imagine clear skin, a coarse black powder is far from what we’d think to put on our face. But, lo and behold! The beauty community was swept and awed by the detoxifying black powder.
Need I say more?
Activated charcoal can help you relieve some stress while working on your acne. This next recipe is for a cleansing balm you can use to kick start your night time routine.
The lightly tinge black balm melts your makeup and sunscreen effortlessly. All the ingredients combined with activated charcoal leaves your skin soft and smooth.
A black canvas ready to receive the benefits of the rest of your routine!
Activated Charcoal Cleansing Balm
- Glass jar
- Glass bowl
- 1 teaspoon activated charcoal
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon cocoa butter
- 1 teaspoon rosehip oil
- 6 drops geranium essential oil
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops rose essential oil
How to Prepare and Use It?
- Place the shea butter, jojoba oil, and cocoa butter in a glass bowl.
- Microwave the ingredients for 30 seconds.
- Stir lightly, then microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Repeat this process until all the ingredients are melted.
- Let the mixture cool slightly. You want it to be slightly warm but not hot.
- Sprinkle the activated charcoal on top of the mixture then mix.
- Add the rosehip oil and essential oils and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the glass jar.
- Let the cleansing balm cool down completely and solidify. You can refrigerate the balm to speed up this step.
- To use, use a spatula to scoop your desired amount. Massage the balm on your face to remove your makeup and sunscreen. Wipe or wash off the balm afterwards. You can now proceed with the rest of your routine.
Final Beauty Thoughts
The journey to our dream skin can really take us places. Who knew that an ingredient like activated charcoal could be used for so much! It’s proof that sometimes, the solutions we are looking can come from where we least expect it.
Try out these recipes for yourself! A quick trip to your kitchen is all you need. Well, plus some patience. But these recipes are easy to make that you’ll wanna do them every day!
When you get to try these recipes, let me know what you think! Share your experiences in the comment section below.
As always, a "you are cool" high-five on reaching the end!
Stay tuned and take skin care!